[pct-l] Powerlines Crossing the PCT in San Diego County

AsABat asabat at cox.net
Thu Feb 8 13:19:35 CST 2007

Looking at Ken's map, some geographical observations (and taking no sides):

The blue line through Grapevine Canyon probably won't be very visible from the PCT except in maybe a few places, depending on tower heights. That route is a narrow dirt road, used in the past by backpackers and now more by mountain bikes and 4x4s. There's some very peaceful areas along it, and some fun "swimming areas" (after springtime storms) where the red line takes off from it near Highway 78..

Where the blue line turns west it appears to cross the PCT where the trail makes a switchback around a gully, passing through two gates in quick succession. Rob Langsdorf has worked with the Scouts for years building a trail just north of that alignment from this point to Mataguay Scout Camp 7 miles to the west. The clearing at the bottom of that gully is hoped to be a campsite in the future. There are a number of springs and seeps in that area.

The alternative red line would be very visible climbing the switchbacks from Scissors Crossing, and visible for a greater distance, but along a wide paved road. The last mile or so heading north to intersect the blue line is along the old California Riding & Hiking Trail.

AsABat