[pct-l] pct-l Digest, Vol 40, Issue 7

Sandra sandrams at olypen.com
Thu Feb 8 15:07:47 CST 2007

Regarding places to stay in Seattle:

Don't forget the Green Tortoise Hostel...under $30 a night, for dorm-
type sleeping and right next to the Pike Place Market, a great place
to nibble on all kinds of unique foods at bargain prices.  The hostel
is more for travel adventurers than the college-age kids
International Youth Hostels support, but it looked pretty clean on my
visit last week, and offers free breakfast and music entertainment.
Great way to meet people from all over the world!  6th Avenue Motel
isn't too bad, either..near downtown.  For even cheaper, Seattle
Pacific Motel is right by Seattle Center, and while it isn't the
Hilton, it was clean and right on the bus routes.

  Seattle's bus system will get  you to TrailFest and back, CHEAP!
Because I have physical difficulties driving (kind of ironic....I can
backpack 20 mile days, but can only drive for 45 minutes!) I take
buses in Seattle and the Puget Sound all the time....only $2.75 to
get from the Edmonds ferry to Tacoma, and the websites for Metro
Transit or Sounder give you a variety of schedules depending on how
far you're willing to walk in between.  Don't forget, long distance
hikers, that the entire Olympic Peninsula is available from cheap
public transportation....you can get on a ferry in Seattle, then take
buses clear to Storm King trailhead on Lake Crescent, and hike 100
miles, coming out in Forks or Brinnon, and with a short ride from the
frequent dayhikers, take the buses back to Seattle.  All for less
than $12, including the ferry trip.

Sandy from the Olympics  (and I don't work for the tourist bureaus!)