[pct-l] extra clothing (bears)

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Feb 11 11:23:35 CST 2007

---------original message-------------
"The main things are to leave
your dishes out in the open, and leave your pack unzipped so that
a bear can investigate it without destroying it."

And how do you plan to carry your gear after the bear runs off with your empty pack? I had one do just that in Lyell Canyon. Pack was completely empty beside the tent. He just grabbed and ran - almost got away too but hung up a shoulder strap on a low tree. He did manage to tear off, and get away with, my belt pouch containing my permit, notebook, and a very expensive compass. The nearby bear can and 2 odor-proof sacks (cleaned dishes + trash that didn't fit in the can) were left untouched.

I slept with my empty pack in my tent from then on. You might want to do the same.

Respectfully,

Wandering Bob

unsubscribe or change options: