[pct-l] Night time temps

Roger Carpenter rogercarpenter at comcast.net
Sun Feb 11 22:00:11 CST 2007

Bill, to be conservative I would plan on temps being down as low as 20
degrees along all 3 sections if you are doing a thru-hike.

I'm not sure if you are doing a thru-hike but I suspect you are.  On my PCT
thru-hike in 1996 I had nighttime temps below freezing on all 3 sections you
described.  On So Cal to Kennedy Meadows below freezing temps are rare and I
recall only one or two nights that were below freezing.  It depends on the
year and how early you start.  In 1995 it nearly snowed on Liebre Mtn just
before reaching the Antelope Valley which is normally searing in late-May /
early-June.  Some years are much colder and snowier than normal.  On your
section 2 KM to Oregon it could easily reach into the low 20's or teens
anywhere near the high passes in the Sierras.  Same for your section 3 in
Washington especially if you hike there in late September or October.  A
good assumption to make is that snow could hit you just about anywhere on a
PCT SoBo thru-hike, except for maybe northern California because you are
camped at relatively low elevations in late July and August.

Roger Carpenter