[pct-l] Hiking in Rain Gear

Terriann McGlenn light_of_aton at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 12 10:21:49 CST 2007

I live in Washington and hike here in the mountains from passable in spring
until 1st snow in fall.  Rain can come anytime in WA and sometimes it comes
sideways, so not wearing rain gear is potential for death.  There are many
good companies that make lightweight and breathable rain gear, you have to
make the decision of what is your comfort level for the conditions.  I am a
hot hiker - I heat up fast and I don't enjoy hiking in non-breathable gear
in any kind of rain.  I have a Packa (combo jacket/pack cover) which I love
using when it's not going to rain for days on end.  I prefer either Montbell
products or Patagonia for their lightweight/breathable combinations.  I have
found that my legs are warm enough that I can hike in a drizzle with shorts
and the Packa and be able to keep warm and dry.  Once it starts to get
heavier or blowing rain I opt for rain pants, which heats up my body and can
make things uncomfortable.  I also wear glasses, which increases the
discomfort level if the face isn't covered.  I have used a baseball cap
(Head Sweats) and a wide brimmed breathable hat either under the hood of the
jacket or instead of to keep rain off and the head cooler.

What I worry about more than getting wet/damp during the day hiking in rain
is the ability to stay dry at night.  Opting for a down bag in WA I have a
couple of tents to choose from, all of which are breathable and watertight
so I can have a good nights sleep without being washed away with either the
inside condensation or outside rain.  I found that at the end of a long day
of hiking, my mind isn't always at its best for choosing a tent site when
all I want is to eat and rest, so I have to make sure the water coming out
of the sky and off the trees won't come in under my pad (which it has done
in the past).  Lots to consider, but lots of choices too.

Terriann