[pct-l] Hiking in Rain Gear

Mark Jernigan footslogger03 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 13:02:29 CST 2007

Thanks Ken   ...

  I have FroggToggs too (and at the risk of repeating myself    ...yes, I'm a gearhead !!)  Carried the jacket all the way to Katahdin but hardly ever wore it (except when I did laundry).  Sent the pant home.  Guess I could consider carrying that jacket on the PCT.  Just can't make up my mind what makes the most sense.  I've got time to think about it.

  Thanks again for the feedback !!

  'Slogger

Ken Powers <kdpo at pacbell.net> wrote:
  'Slogger

We hiked the AT in 2003 also. It was really wet! Our Washington PCT
experience was like our AT Vermont experience, but the temps were cooler.
Both were constant rain for days, except for a couple days of snow in
Washington. But as others have pointed out, you need to carry something to
stay warm and raingear will help. You are going to get wet regardless. We
were fortunate to hike with a Brit in central Washington. He advised us on
hiking wet but warm by using many layers. Good advice that we still use.

Someone said that Frogg Toggs were $100. I just ordered new Frogg Toggs for
both Marcia and me. The total bill, including shipping, for 2 sets of
original Frogg Toggs was $130.77. (The invoice says one set is $59.95 plus
$10.87 shipping to SF Bay area.)

Added info: we are replacing gear that has lasted 2 full long distance
hikes. We plan to add a strip of duct tape up the lower inseam to prevent
abrasion there.

Stay warm!

Ken
...GottaWalk