[pct-l] If you want to go back in time . . .

Bighummel at aol.com Bighummel at aol.com
Sat Feb 17 17:20:36 CST 2007

<<<
Or when Eddie Bauer sold real backpacking gear?

I bought an Eddie Bauer pack (actually made by Jansport but with an EB  label
on it) in 1974 that was guaranteed to carry "up to 100 lbs. for  life".  It
was my first new pack that I ever bought.  The main pocket  seam pulled out
with the ice axe loop about 100 miles south of Yosmite in '77 on  the PCT and I
sewed it up with coarse nylon thread.  Then a pocket zip  broke and a pocket
seam unraveled.  I hitch-hiked out to Berkeley from  Yosemite Valley on Memorial
Day Weekend (remember, this was '77, THE driest year  on record), turned in
the Eddie Bauer for a full refund, added another $12 and  got a "second with an
employee discount" big ass Kelty Tioga, in  exchange of a couple hour sit
down and discuss with "Hap" Klopp, the president  of the North Face.  My now
sister-in-law was his secretary at the  time.

Ah, it was a backpacking haven back then . . .

Greg "Strider" Hummel