[pct-l] alternate trails for the pct in Giant Sequia and Yosemite

Alistair and Gail Des Moulins aandg at telusplanet.net
Sun Feb 18 22:02:35 CST 2007

Roni

When we hiked the PCT in 2003 we left the PCT at Vidette Meadow after
Forester Pass and hiked the 14 miles west down the Bubbs Creek Trail to
Roads End in Kings Canyon NP.
It is near the NE corner of the map at
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/parkRoads.pdf . From here it
would seem you could hitch to some of the big tree groves in Sequoia NP.
It's a very pleasant hike but does descend from 9600' down to 5000'
elevation at Road's End.
>From Road's End I hitched to Cedar Grove to resupply. There was not much
selection there and it was expensive but I got enough to get us to VVR. At
Road's End there was a ranger manning the trailhead and he was quite happy
when I said I was a PCT thruhiker going to get more food so probably no
additional permit would be necessary. For more details of that day ( 6th
June 2003 ) from my journal see
http://www.pcthiker.com/cgi-bin/hikers/webdata_pctjournals.pl?fid=1074974798&query=pagenum%3D13%26cgifunction%3DSearch%26owner%3DAlistair&cgifunction=form
It's possible that other "villages" in KingsCanyon/Sequoia NP are better for
resupply.

Alistair