[pct-l] Sleds for winter camping

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Mon Feb 19 09:22:48 CST 2007

This is the other wonderful item that Mountain Education uses on all of our
Base trips and many of our Winter/Spring JMT adventures.  Our sleds come
from Pat Smith, the founder of Mountainsmith, and vary from four to seven
feet in length (the later being more of a rescue sled but can sure haul a
lot of stuff!)  I'm not sure if he still advertises that he makes them, but
might make one for you if you ask at his new company's website,
www.kifaru.net.  They have twin aluminum runners underneath, rigid poles out
front, and wonderfully padded hip belts to pull against.  You can even
special order an adjustable rudder and reverse brakebar!  I may have
pictures of ours in use in our photo gallery.  The only down side is that
the longer versions can be difficult to maneuver in the trees and at stream
crossings, but it's sure great to get to get the weight of the pack off the
back and carry a few more luxuries!

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com