[pct-l] Shuttles to/from Kennedy Meadows

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Feb 19 10:03:43 CST 2007

In 2005 after leaving the trail SOBO in central Oregon I was able to
hike for another 10 days or so and started at Kennedy Meadows.  I took
the CREST bus and the driver graciously dropped me off at the KM
junction on Hwy 395.  This was the end of September and it was windy and
hot, and there was no traffic.  The bus had passed two pick-ups with two
guys jawing just before the turn-off, and a half hour after standing
there and throwing rocks at fenceposts one of them stopped and offered
me a ride.  He was the head guy for the telephone agency up there and
said that residents made a point of helping out hikers hitching on that
road.

By the way, there is a rock on the south side of the road three or four
miles from KM that is painted.  The fellow giving me a ride said it was
the only place there was cell phone coverage in the area.  People would
drive down from KM to the rock to make phone calls.

He also said that Michael Richards bought a bunch of land to the north
of the road as you approach KM, but was freaking out because a fire had
come through.  He said that a number of carpenters were getting work
from him as he built his Mansion.  His comment about Richards, "rich
people are weird."

My ride dropped me off at the campground, way off his route, and wished
me well on my way.  There at the campspace  where the trail winds in
from the north was SOM, State of Mind, who had to leave the trail in
WAshington because of shin splints or other debilitating injury.  He was
meeting the wave he'd hiked with for almost 900 miles to celebrate their
ending the trail.  He had the little green monument he'd made (I think
he made it) and tinsel hanging in the trees.  I'd hitchiked with him and
One Gallon up near Stevens Pass.

It was fun meeting the people I'd hop scotched with in WAshington as
they were within a day or two of the end of their hike, and a whole
bunch of others I'd not met.

Jeff, just Jeff...