[pct-l] Flip-flop

William Skaggs weskaggs at primate.ucdavis.edu
Mon Feb 19 15:50:31 CST 2007

> Just learned that my son is to be married in early July, right  in the middle
> of my thru-hike.  I'm wondering if I should hike to Kennedy  Meadows, go home
> for the wedding and then come back to Manning Park, Canada, in  mid-July and
> hike south, finishing at KM.  I'm 64 yrs old and don't think I  have time to
> finish if I head north from KM in mid-July.  Any one with some  experience or
> advice on this?  If I do the flip flop, I should be able to  hike the Sierras
> into October, right?

Well, you should probably be a lot farther north than KM by *early* July
if you expect to reach Canada by the end of September, even *without* any
interruption -- i.e., somewhere near the Oregon border.

But to answer the question, the high Sierra in October can be
tricky -- could be fine, could get two feet of snow overnight.
One thing that is certain is that the nights will be pretty
damn cold.

  -- Bill

Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu