[pct-l] Red Buttes snow update

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Mon Feb 19 20:05:58 CST 2007

I hiked up into the Red Buttes this weekend for my first 2007 hike. I was
amazed that I could drive to Cook'n Green pass (4700'), the earliest in 15
years that I could drive there! The snow levels are very low, and I was able
to hike to 5500ft without snowshoes. After that point the postholing was no
longer pleasant. This is looking to be a low snow year in the Northern
California Mtns, which means lower water chances, but earlier hiking
opportunities. This may change if the snow Gods bless the mountains, but
they seem rather absent minded this year. I hiked up on Saturday in the warm
sunshine, with my dog Kelly, and enjoyed a t-shirt Spring like day. Later
that night, we were reminded it was still winter when it snowed and blowed
all night. I'm glad I took the Bibler. Here's a few photos of my first
hiking trip on the PCT in 2007, starting with "Kitchen duties"
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/red_buttes&page=3