[pct-l] Jansport D-3

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at citlink.net
Tue Feb 20 08:03:00 CST 2007

Jeff,
Is the D-3 the bigger of the two Jansports?  If so, that's what I have hanging in my garage, causing much quite a kurfuffle (much laughter and fuss) amongst hikers visiting with us in Old Station.  It's blue, external frame, big upper compartment w/ an arched zipper opening and a smaller compartment below.  Lashings for my sleeping bag up top, over a small compartment easily reached by the wearer from overhead, great for maps, poncho, etc. and lashings for tent below the lower compartment.  Compression straps, pockets on both sides, and best of all for this post bilateral back surgery hiker, lite wt. metal wraparound 'wings'  and padded hip belt that really distributed the weight away from my lower back.  I love my pack.  It's big, it's heavy, but it carried the extra gear that my young (5th through 9th grade) and small backpacking Girl Scouts weren't able weight-wise to tote.  I've carried up to 80 lbs...very briefly, the first two days meals came out of my pack to get it down to a sensible weight, but it was quite doable for that short period of time.  It's covered w/ patches from both Girl Scout and Explorer Scout trips and trainings, including winter camping and more that one hiker has gotten out their camera and taken pictures of my 'dinosaur.  Love my pack, but I doubt it'll see service again ever on my back...these days I cook.
TFTM  (Thanks For The Memories)
Georgi
 T.A. Old Station