[pct-l] Jansport D-3

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at citlink.net
Tue Feb 20 13:48:40 CST 2007

Ceanothus...
I think you're on the money...my pack 's
wings were looped, in fact, I had a thing-a-ma-bob that had a clothes closet rod hanger on one end and a clothes pin on the other.  I could hook the thing over the bottom loop, and clothespin my wet socks or whatever to it.  Dry in no time.
And we certainly are wallowing is something, hopefully the past, and yes, these are the Model T's of todaý's world.  They were the forerunners, the link between the old wooden? packboard backpack frames from WW2, maybe?  I remember when I told my ex that my G.S. troop wanted to learn to backpack and that our two daughters and I needed sleeping bags and packs, he said we were crazy, there was no way we'd ever get him out there with one of those 'instruments of torture'  that he wore in the army.  He was amazed when he saw what we brought home...my first pack was a Camp Trails that was a comfortable fit,...before surgeries, but not after.  I started borrowing packs from Boy Scouts in the neighborhood.  The Jan Sport that Swen Wedigen lent me was the answer. The leather alone on mine must have weighed a pound, and around the Twin Lakes area of Lassen N.P.,  I had to hang it to keep the local skunks from nibbling on it. And the leather that held the wings in place just may have creaked...I'd forgotten that.
These early good packs proved that comfort was possible while wandering thru the woods, after that, making them lighter and able to carry weird stuff, like skis, climbing gear, etc, was about all you could do in terms of innovation.  Lighter weight fabrics that wore as well as cordoba cloth, and shed water w/in reason was a good place to start. These packs are like the Alpenlite packs, the old Eureka Timberline tents, the Gerry Sleep System,  the  MSR Whisperlite stoves and Frostline Kits.  They set standards for designers at The North Face, The Granite Stairway, The Marmot Mountain Works, Sierra Design, etc. to strive to improve upon.  I marvel at today's equipment, things like my neighbor, Bill Davis has shown me.  He gets his gear mostly online from Backpacking Lite.  But my old pack fits me just fine, and if it's a Model T that's  fine too.  I'm almost old enough to be a Model T myself so we go together well.  And this past summer, two section hikers came through wearing Jan Sports, newer, lighter, fabric as well as the frame.  And they were smaller clones of mine.  So...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  It's a good pack.

Georgi, ramblin' on....

Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:16 AM
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Jansport D-3