[pct-l] HEET

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 22:45:28 CST 2007

Two places stand out as far as buying HEET (last year) is concerned, the first was at Hyatt Lake Resort. We had forgotten to get it in Ashland so were concerned that we might be in trouble. The store at Hyatt Lake is about the size of a large outhouse and we didn't expect to find any there. They not only had it but it was reasonably priced, I think just over $2.00. The other extreme was a bad experiance at the store at Crater Lake. They also had HEET but I think it was $5.80 a bottle! When I complained about the price, the lady said they didn't buy enough of it to get a discount on it.

  Usually the best place to get HEET is in a grocery store, most of them have it and almost always cheaper than at a gas station, a good example was in Cascade Locks. Auto parts stores are the next best place or a large drug store with an auto section. Unless of course there is a Walmart or other discount store.

  Three hardware stores that I know of that sold denatured alcohol by the bottle were in Idyllwild, Big Bear (near the fire station, I think it was a Mexican named store - real cheap too) and Wrightwood. Or hike with go-Big and have your personal trail angel carry a gallon in his motorhome (thanks go-Bob!).

  Sugar Daddy

  Interested in a South American Adventure? I have started an Adventure Travel Business in Peru.
  http://www.adventurecotahuasi.com

  Check out my yahoo blog for stories and pictures of my PCT hike:
  http://360.yahoo.com/vichansonperu

  Check out my MSN blog for current and past photos and stories of my adventures in Peru:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/vichanson/