[pct-l] Jansport D-3

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Wed Feb 21 18:50:01 CST 2007

Well my A16 frame is close to original. However I had to have a joint
welded years ago. took a little looking to find a shop that would take
on an aluminum welding job that small at a reasonable price.

I've gone thru several iterations of the belt, getting lighter and
better. I now have simple webbing with a Kelty stainless steel quick
release buckle. Probably couldn't buy such a buckle any more. But it is
nice. With a quick pull on the buckle I can release it and slide off my
pack.

Another technique I learned long ago. standing  behind the pack I grip
the frame with my arms through the straps about a third of the way down.
Then letting out a breath and an expletive, I swing the pack up over my
head extending my arms then let the pack slide down my arms with the
straps on my shoulders and the belt dropping by my waist. Easiest way
I've found to put on a pack. Looks hard but is actually easy.

Something one probably can't do with an ultralite pack; then again one
probably doesn't need to.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>