[pct-l] French Speaking Hiker Help -- Other Advice Needed

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Thu Feb 22 15:32:44 CST 2007

Some thoughts on "low Sierra" trails that can be accessed during winter:

o Yosemite Valley.  The Yosemite Falls, Snow Creek, and the Mist trails
are generally open through winter.  Depending on conditions, it can be
possible to camp on dry ground past the top of Yosemite Falls, above the
Snow Creek switchbacks (excellent views of Half Dome), or in Little
Yosemite Valley.  Also, in winter, the trails in Yosemite Valley itself
can be enjoyable--I'd recommend the valley loop trail, which is 10-12
miles long.  Curry has heated tent cabins that are not too expensive
mid-week.

o Badger Pass.  A previous list member already discussed the
opportunities here.  The day ski trip along the groomed Glacier Point
road to the Clark Range Viewpoint (~ 6 miles out) is definitely worth
it.  There are also guided overnight trips to Glacier Point that provide
accomodations inside a lodge-like building (the summer snack "stand").

o Hetch Hetchy.  The Rancheria Falls trail generally stays snow free.
This trail can be done as a dayhike or an overnighter--in winter,
nighttime temperatures are usually moderate.

o Sequoia NP frontcountry.  Cross-country skis can be rented (at
Wolverton) to travel through the Giant Forest area.  Conditions could
allow traveling along the High Sierra Trail (which has a generally open,
southern exposure for the first several miles) without encountering too
much snow, at least far enough to get views of the Great Western Divide.
Overnight camping is available along this trail (e.g. at Merhten Creek).
The trails up the Middle and South forks of the Kaweah River also
generally stay free of snow (but perhaps not illegal agricultural
enterprises).

Note that a particularly cold system is moving into the Sierra now, so
places that would have allowed for spring-like camping at 7,000' a week
ago will probably have more typical winter conditions.