[pct-l] Digital Camera with powerful zoom option?

c.engberg at cox.net c.engberg at cox.net
Fri Feb 23 00:38:33 CST 2007

I love my camera (Nikon S10) for my day-to-day shots and weekend outings but after
checking out the Canon A710 reiews available I would have to agree that for a thruhike or
any long distance hiking it is probably the best camera available.

I would include a few accessories not mentioned by Alden which would make the camera
perfect for me. I love shooting macro so I would get the conversion lens adapter and the
close up lens. The lens allows you to fully zoom at 18-25 cm away! Bee stinger anyone?
There are also telephoto lenses available that you might as well carry for shooting pictures
of bears and rattlesnakes. A bonus of the conversion adapter is that when you arent
shooting maco or telephoto place a clear filter over the front to keep dust and rain from
damaging the main lens and mechanism.

As for the plastic tripod mount, I really like the small flexible tripods like the Gorrilapod and I
find that I almost never remove it- squeeze the legs together for a good handle and flip the
out when you want to set it on a rock or wrap them around a tree branch. Beats stripping the
threads.. The flexible legs and neck make it super quick to level and point.

Links:

Conversion Lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&s
ku=425702&is=REG&addedTroughValue=459773_REG&addedTroughType=accessory_det
ail
Close Up Lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&s
ku=87494&is=REG&addedTroughValue=425702_REG&addedTroughType=accessory_detai
Telephoto Lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&s
ku=262141&is=REG&addedTroughValue=425702_REG&addedTroughType=accessory_det
ail
Filter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&s
ku=13078&is=REG&addedTroughValue=425702_REG&addedTroughType=accessory_detai
Gorrila Pod:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=391&A=details&Q=&sku=423958&is=
REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Wish I could join you all this year! Good luck!
-Chris