[pct-l] Fishing? - Smell

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Sat Feb 24 20:38:15 CST 2007

Ya' know that tuna that comes in those little foil packets that us hikers
all love so well? *Even* if you rinse out the empty packet, which you
certainly should, I've always wondered what a bears experience is. Can they
smell that empty, rinsed out foil package? Does a bear know that my garbage
bag is in my food bag at night?

Well, I don't think I'll stop eating tuna on the trail. At least if you
catch your fish, you can eat the wrapper, too. :)

Scott

 Now, at home I have no problem filleting them up and
cooking them as is but what about in the wild. I have
been having these weird thoughts that maybe those GOD
Awful BEARS might like the smell of those fish too and
come into the camp site looking where that smell is
coming from. I know from experience that after fishing
<<<<