[pct-l] Bringing friends to hike part of the trail - could use some suggestions

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Tue Jan 2 16:31:27 CST 2007

I have two friends who can't take the time to hike a long distance, but have
expressed a keen interest in joining me for a stretch of the trail this
year.

I'm thinking that Campo to Warner springs would be best for the following
reasons:

A) we're all out of shape so I need to start slow.  Later in the hike when I
need to make the big miles it'd be too hard for city boys to join me and
keep up with 20+ miles a day.

B) there's no significant altitude changes in this stretch - good for guys
who aren't in super shape.

C) since neither of them has been out of BC/Alberta much, the geography of
SoCal is like nothing they've experienced, so would be interesting for them.

D) the enthusiasm around kick-off time would be a great way to get them
motivated to try the full hike sometime in the future

E) a couple days at Warner Springs Resort would be a fantastic way for them
to end their first ever hiking trip.

Here's my big concern though ... the first couple weeks on the trail after
kick-off is prime time for finding some trail buddies.  I have no interest
in spending much time alone on the trail, and I'm worried that if I'm hiking
with a couple friends from the start, I may end up missing the best chance
to find a "group" to hike with.  I'm concerned that once we're done at
Warner Springs I'll find myself far behind "the pack" and hiking alone.  :-(

I'll risk it because the pros of getting these guys on the trail far out way
any personal concerns I have about my own hike, but I wonder if anybody has
any other perspectives?  Any other sections of the trail that might be
better/more interesting for a first hike for these guys?

They're both very interested, so I'm thinking about surprising them with
plane tickets so they HAVE to go.  ;-)

Happy New Year!   Holy crap ... four months to go!  EEEEEK!

Paul