[pct-l] Bringing friends to hike part of the trail - could use some suggestions

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Tue Jan 2 17:30:42 CST 2007

I was not trying to mislead anyone. In 2004, I took the first shuttle
to the border and was back before 3 o'clock (Some people were
faster.) and I was in  no shape to thru-hike 20+ days with a pack on.
I went home the next day as planned. I figured that the average
thru-hiker would be in much better shape. However, I guess they get
in shape as time goes on. As I recall, there is a shady place to rest
at the creek before going up Hauser and, in 2004, there was a guy
with water at the top of Hauser. Is that an annual occurrence? Maybe
this year there will be cloud cover. (Be optimistic.) Even if you
don't get to the lake until 6 or 7, so what? Anyway, I guess the
alternatives are laid out and people can hike their own hike.

Pieces

P.S. If someone wants motivation, I was 62 in 2004 when I walked this piece.