[pct-l] New Electric Transmission Line following the PCT in the San Felipe Hills

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Thu Jan 4 19:41:51 CST 2007

kenandeb at sover.net wrote:
> The recent PCT Communicator Magazine has a good article regarding a 500kV
> line being proposed along the route of the PCT. First I should tell you
> that I work in the regulatory affairs department of an East Coast
> Electrical Utility and I have worked on transmission line filings for the
> dark side. These filings create a tremendous amount of documents, which I
> have only briefly scanned. I did download 50 meg or so of maps and I still
> have not seen a clear representation of the proposed route in relation to
> the PCT. It looks close though and as luck would have it, the route
> parallels the PCT for a good distance.  The San Felipe Hills area is one
> of the prettiest, quietest, remote areas in Southern California. The
> ruling body on this project will be the California Public Utilities
> Commission. Their Internet site regarding this is at
> http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/static/hottopics/1energy/a0512014.htm
> It wouldn’t hurt to drop them a quick e-mail and tell them what you think.
> There are always alternatives. A bunch of e-mails might put PCT hikers on
> their radar screen.
>
> The PCT Communicator suggests the following contacts.
>
> Send Letters / Comments to:
> Billie Blachard, Project Manager
> California Public Utilities Commission
> 505 Van Ness Ave.
> San Francisco, CA. 94102
> Fax:(415) 703-2200
> e-mail: bcb at cpuc.ca.gov
>
> send copy to:
> Suzanne Wilson
> PCTA Southern California Regional Representative
> P.O. Box 798
> Idyllwild, CA. 92549
> e-mail SWilson at pcta.org
>
> There is an organization called the Utility Consumers’ Action Network.
> These types of organizations can be effective. Their site is at:
> http://www.ucan.org/energy/electricity/sunrise_powerlink_issue_center
>
> Hike on.
> Ken R.

hi-

just thought i'd also add to this by re-posting diana's info from a
couple weeks ago for those who might have missed it:

*********
Hi All,

You can all certainly do something to help prevent Sunrise Powerlink
from crossing Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, state wilderness areas,
and sections of the PCT. Incidentally, if the 500kV powerline crosses 22
miles of the park, sections of three state wilderness areas will have to
be dedesignated as wilderness areas -- wilderness areas that were
created to be "forever." That "forever" will set a precedent nationwide
for dedesignating wilderness areas when there is a need for development.
Within the park alone, the powerlines will be visible for over 90,000
acres. There is a lot at stake here. The CPUC will not make a decision
until late 2007. You can make a difference. Here is how. Write letters
expressing your anger and concern to:

       Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, State Capitol Building,
Sacramento, CA 95814

       Bobby Shriver, Chair, CA State Park and Recreation Commission,
P.O. Box 942896, Sacramento, CA 94296-0001

       Ruth Coleman, State Parks Director, Department of Parks and
Recreation, 1416 9th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814

       Mark Jorgensen, Superintendent, Anza-Borrego Desert State park,
200 Palm Canyon Drive, Borrego Springs, CA 92004

       San Diego County Supervisors Dianne Jacob and Bill Horn, 1600
Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92101

       Senator Christine Kehoe, 2445 5th Avenue, Suite 200, San Diego,
CA 92101

       Senator Denise Moreno Ducheny, 637 3rd Ave., Suite C, Chula
Vista, CA 91910

       Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, 1557 Columbia Street, San Diego, CA 92101

       Billie C. Blanchard, CPUC, Transmission Permitting & Reliability
Branch, Area 4-A, 505 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102-3214
(bcb at cpuc.ca.gov)

Diana Lindsay, President
Anza-Borrego Foundation and Institute
www.theabf.org