[pct-l] PCT Horse Journey?

Joanne Lennox goforth at cio.net
Fri Jan 5 16:16:47 CST 2007

I am thinking about getting back on the PCT (- I have done it twice before).

And I am looking for a riding partner, or a walking friend , and/ or a support driver.  I have walked the whole thing but when I have a horse along, I generally walk the down hillls and do not take a pack horse (I pack my riding mount with minimal gear but lots of feed).  I generally cover about the same mileage as a thruhiker - about 20 miles a day, but start a long trip slower. The condition of my horse(s) is always my primary concern and frequently determines where I camp.

I have thought about covering at least a thousand miles, or about 2 months trip, and probably in july or august.  Which particular piece I do is going to depend on the snow and time , maintenence of the trail, and the persons preferences and abilities.

Joanne