[pct-l] New Gear Weight Scale

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Jan 6 17:29:30 CST 2007

>After being bullied, intimidated,  and harassed by the Extreme Ultra Lighters
>and Ultra Light hikers, I went down  to Fry's today and bought an new scale
>that measures to the .1 ounce and to  one gram (27 grams to an ounce).  I
>refuse to buy one that measures to .1  gram.
>
>The day I have to measure gear  weight to .1 gram is the day I go back to
>playing golf and give up  backpacking.  You have to draw the line somewhere.
>
>Anyway, when I got it home I  noticed that I started getting as nutty as they
>are.  I started thinking  what is the difference between my painted and
>unpainted super light TI tent  stakes?  What would be the difference between just
>painting the very top of  a stake fluorescent orange or the whole stake?  How
>much does an empty  quart ZipLock bag weigh?  How much do those extra rubber
>bands  weigh?
>
>I need professional  help.
>
>Later,  Switchback

Before I received 'help', I would have very quickly pointed out that there are 28.35 grams per ounce, but...

After getting said 'help' I did NOT get a scale that weighed to 1 gram (0.035 ounces), nor even
dreamed of getting one that measured to 0.1 grams (0.0035 ounces)...

After another 'visit' (or two), maybe I will stop weighing multiples of the same item to determine more
exactly where a single one falls in between the tenths of an ounce readout (yeah, like the baggies!)...

I have managed to trim my baseweight down to 'ultralight' for weekend to week-long treks...
Currently my thru-hike plans are to be 'lightweight' - 10+ to 15 pounds baseweight, depending on the
section, snowpack, long range weather outlook, etc., etc. ...

But, before this summer, I plan to get rid of more 'dead weight' - 10 to 15 pounds - off of me!
At this stage, that 10-15 pounds will yield far more 'good' than ANY additional tenths of an ounce out
of the pack!

Let me know if you want me to try and get you a local referral, Switchback...     ;-)

Happy trails!!!