[pct-l] pct-l Digest, Vol 39, Issue 7

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 11:52:25 CST 2007

Kurt P. Herzog wrote:

>I have been using liquid iodine for water
treatment for years and years and never had a
problem until my JMT thru-hike of 28 days.  By
the
start of the 4th week every burp tasted of iodine

and I could never get the taste out of my mouth.

>I still use iodine for trips up to 2 weeks, but
over that I would carry a pump filter (plus
iodine
for backup if the pump fails).

>The secret to using iodine is to sprinkle a tiny

bit of ascorbic acid powder (vitamin C) into the
water after the treatment period.  This amazing
stuff takes all the iodine color tinge AND the
taste out of the water.

Iodine is reportedly ineffective against
crytosporidium.  Have there been any recent
developments to refute this?

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR