[pct-l] Desert Weather (was: Rides Needed)

gwtmp01 at mac.com gwtmp01 at mac.com
Mon Jan 8 14:23:08 CST 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 1:13 PM, bluebrain at bluebrain.ca wrote:

> There's no chance of snow between Camp and Warner Springs in April,
> is there?

There certainly is a chance.  Last year I hiked to Warner Springs
before the
kickoff and we bailed from Pioneer Mail to the motel due to high
winds and rain.
(about 50 miles from the border). When we awoke the next morning
there was a
couple of inches of snow at the Mt. Laguna store and lots of ice
covered chaparral
at Pioneer Mail.  The wind was still howling almost knocking us over
several times
until we finally dropped down into Chariot Canyon.  We met several
hikers who had
a pretty miserable time camped out that night in the Lagunas.

I think it isn't all that unusual for PCT hikers to think that a
desert is always
hot.  It just isn't true.  You need to be prepared for cold weather
(below freezing)
right from the start on a PCT hike.  And yes, it can rain in the desert.

Oh yeah, if you haven't practiced setting up your tarp/tent/tarptent
in a sandy soil
with high winds, you might want to think about it now before you have
to figure it out
on the trail.

And please be prepared to navigate a snow covered trail in the San
Jacintos.  Lots of
people will warn you about Fuller Ridge but last year I ran into many
thru-hikers who
were not prepared to navigate the trail south of the Saddle Junction
in the snow.  They
just figured they wouldn't have trouble until *after* Saddle
Junction.  I would recommend
getting the Tom Harrison San Jacinto Wilderness map if you need to
navigate over snow
in the San Jacinto's.  Doing it with the guidebook maps is a real
challenge (especially
if you've never done that sort of thing before).

Gary Wright (Radar)