[pct-l] audio books and batteries

Sandra Smith sandrams at olypen.com
Mon Jan 8 16:46:12 CST 2007

Regarding battery recharging and iodine as a water treatment, I may
have some additional suggestions because of where I live (in the
Olympic Mt foothills, a couple of miles past the end of the power
lines).

First, power.  Realgoods.com  has a variety of small and flexible
solar photovoltaic devices that would more than recharge an iPod.  I
carried one about 1.5' by 1.1' which just rolled up to charge a 7"
screen Toshiba Libretto, a full W95 laptop computer, so I could do
the work I needed to and still hike.  Worked fine, but newer flexible
panels are even better.  Now I carry a Treo SmartPhone, running the
Palm operating system, which is several things in one phone-sized
package:  good cell phone, PDA with contacts, calendar, note-taking
(even reads MS Office documents), MP3 player, camera (quality is not
great but does nice short movies...for those 'educational' special
sessions at the kickoff maybe?!), eReader for electronic books, and
with an exterior tiny bluetooth GPS receiver from Semsons a nice GPS
device with large color maps.  It can also get internet if you want
to pay for it and can get reception from where you will be.  Handy
for looking up services and checking the weather!   With my altimeter
watch, these 2 devices do just about everything I want on the trail,
and weigh less, together, than one paperback book--even in the heavy
aluminum case I have on the Treo.  I read Crime and Punishment while
hiking the Oregon PCT...but one could get a couple of dozen
electronic books (which I either get free if they are classics, or
pay for at eReader.com) into the Treo. Audio ones will take up more
memory, but the Treo has a SD slot for music, photos, videos, etc.

However, if sound quality for both music and audiobooks is the
deciding factor, I'd go with the iPod....in a waterprooof and
shockproof case!

As for charging, you can go directly from the 12-volt portable and
rollable photovoltaic (solar) panels, and charge as you walk in the
sunshine.....or you can charge batteries and then use the batteries
as backup, just as was already detailed on the listserv.  However,
going from charging device to batteries to your iPod or Treo or
whatever  means you lose some of that precious electric energy with
each conversion.  The Treo's batteries are easily removed, so I just
carry a spare...charged....and that way always have a backup for
clouds, long distances, etc.  But the iPod would need to be charged
daily.

Regarding iodine and chlorine as water treatments, I read some years
back, in a doctoral dissertation on giardia, that halogens (chlorine,
iodine) are not very effective destroyers of giardia cysts. They kill
the living organism just fine, but the cyst form is quite protected.
Boiling (or even REALLY hot water) destroyed the cysts physically, by
denaturing their proteins, but the author of this dissertation said
that few other water treatments besides filtering really prevented
the cysts from being infective.

However, those of you who have HAD giardia, and did not get it
treated, may well be immune.  We got it from our own water system
years ago, never were treated (what was the point?), and never had
problems again.  It appears that almost the entire population of old
St Petersburg in Russia was immune due to exposure since infancy.  I
drink water right out of the streams in the Cascades, Olympics, and
Alaska mts, when human contamination is very unlikely, and never get
sick.  But I carry a virus filter in parts of California and in well-
traveled areas.

Sandy from the Olympics