[pct-l] Stakes (not meat)

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Jan 8 16:55:14 CST 2007

Snow and sand anchors are probably the best best for conditions which won't hold stakes, especially in high wind conditions.  I learned about anchors when I went on the Mountain Education course (w/MtnEd) last April.  We (we being Buzz Saw and me) didn't have any anchors with us, so we used our ice axes on two of the four tie-downs and "dead men" on the other two.  A "dead man" is simply a good sturdy stick, buried down in the snow/sand.  In some arid desert conditions, you might have a hard time finding sticks that fit the bill.  The winds howled like a freight train all night in blizzard conditions, and everything held beautifully (thank goodness).

For my JMT hike, I made four snow anchors out of 1.1 ripstop sylnylon and some of the reflective tent string.  They looked like little parachutes.  Turns out I didn't need them on this trip, as I never had to camp on the snow, but I was consoled in that they didn't weigh much, and didn't take up any room in my pack -- so they're going to stay there for any future situations that might require them.

One situation that sort of threw me off was camping at the lakes below Forrester Pass, where the ground is so rocky getting a stake into it is impossible.  I camped with Baird and his mom, Rocket Lady, and Baird was kind enough to show me how to wedge my stakes strategically into cracks between rocks, and anchor them by piling on additional rocks to make 'em hold (a valuable lesson I will never forget -- thanks Baird!).  The only concern I had about this setup was that in a high wind situation, the tent string/cord can rub against the rocks and fray to the point of breaking.   So, give some thought to protecting the life of the cords when using this method.

L-Rod