[pct-l] Gloves for Ice Axe

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Mon Jan 8 17:30:26 CST 2007

I was visualizing the process of self arrest (not having done one myself)
and it occurred to me that a good grasp of the axe is important.  You would
not want the axe ripped from the hand at impact.  The only "gloves" I plan
to carry are my fleece mittens.  I can see that these would not be the best
choice for "ice Axe in hand" times.  What is the general consensus.  I have
not seen anyone, in any book, any guide, mention this.  I could bare-hand
the axe when needed and that would do it, but I am visualizing this need at
some of the potentially coldest places.  Or is the proper grip on the head
of the axe such that even with a fleece mitten - done correctly - should
hold?  'Cause I'm telling you that my fleece mittens are silky fluffy
soft... I just do not think it would hold.

Am I over thinking this?

BillB