[pct-l] Hiking Pole Tips Tip

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Wed Jan 10 10:35:41 CST 2007

Keep at least 1 set in your drift box.

It's not the carbide tip that wears out per se, it's the plastic surrounding
it. Another common occurrence is actually breaking the tip off, getting it
wedged between rocks, cracks, etc. Then you're left with this plastic nub to
get worn down easily; thus the dramatic photos. You will get your pole
'stuck' in the ground often.

Replacement tip tip:
The back of the bench by the picnic table at the store/PO in Toulomne
Meadows has the boards spaced apart perfectly. If you slide your pole
between the gap and pull real hard the tip will pop right off. I replaced
tips on 2 sets of poles using this fabulous tool Yosemite Park has designed
for us hikers. ;)

I have read that the tips are likely to implode or wear-out on a thru-hike.
I am going to buy some replacement tips for my Leki's ahead of time.  How
may tip-sets does one normally go through?
<<<<