[pct-l] trekking poles

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 10 23:49:21 CST 2007

I agree that trekking poles are a huge help on the trail, the only time I didn't use mine last year was on the aqueduct walk and road walking. In my opinion they were essential for the Sierras, snow and river crossings. However there are those who don't use them, Scott Williamson for one.

  I went through 3 tips and unfortunately didn't have the replacement tips with me in the Sierras, I was expecting I would only need them if the tips wore down. All 3 broke off, due to getting caught in rocks I think. I used sticks, stones and tent stakes as replacement tips (duct taped on) until I got to my bounce box for new tips. Carry the spares with you.

  I have Komperdell Compact Ultra Light poles, no shocks, no problems with the locking mech. I also used them as poles for my Virga 2 Tarptent, so had to adjust them every night. The tent stake tips still allowed me to use them in the Tarptent grommets. Was very happy with the Tarptent too.

  I did get an Adventure 16 Bug Bivy after the hike for cowboy camping, saw one on the trail and was impressed with it. Weighs 6.5 oz. but has a neat built in self opening support. Available at backcountry.com.

  Thanks to all that have checked out my Adventure Cotahuasi Tours website at www.adventurecotahuasi.com . If any of you have a website (especially a hiking related one) and would be willing to put my site in your "links", I would really appreciate it. It is regularly being updated so check it out now and then and please tell your friends about it.

  Thanks,

  Sugar Daddy

  Interested in a South American Adventure? I have started an Adventure Travel Business in Peru.
  http://www.adventurecotahuasi.com

  Check out my yahoo blog for info and pictures of my PCT hike:
  http://360.yahoo.com/vichansonperu

  Check out my MSN blog for current and past photos and stories of my adventures in Peru:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/vichanson/