[pct-l] Snow gear for lightweight backpacking?

David Toms ukstoveman at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 11 01:28:46 CST 2007

Jeff,
Until 05, received wisdom seemed to be that an ice axe was important, but
crampons unnecessary. I think this reflected 5 below-average snow years for
thru hikers. This view appeared to change significantly in 05 and 06,
reflecting the value of crampons in high snow conditions, but if 07 is like
00-04, it might swing back again. In my experience, the advice you get
strongly reflects the experience of the past 2-3 years and therefore can be
180degrees out for your hike!

In '05, many of the early season hikers (including us) found that the small
extra weight of crampons (our were 8oz/pair, camp 6-punte light) was well
worth the enormous increase in efficiency they generated, and the increase
to the length of the hiking day. With crampons, you can walk on frozen snow
in the early morning, which is almost as fast as walking on trail. Without
them, you have to wait for the snow to soften, which significantly increases
the amount of time you then spend postholing once its all softened too much,
and would have cut 5 hrs off our hiking day. When you're walking on snow for
hundreds of miles, this makes a huge difference in comfort, efficiency and
safety.
In '06, it appears from journals that lots of people also went with
crampons, and a few tried snowshoes in addition. I'd be surprised if there
was a benefit worth the weight with snowshoes, but maybe somebody who used
them will chip in.
If '07 is a low snow year, I've not doubt that trailjournals will be full of
people griping about the unnecessary weight of crampons and ice axes!

The conditions you experience will depend entirely on the conditions this
year, and the date you enter. See here for early June 05 vs early Sept 06
(05 and 06 were similar years, so this shows the impact of 3 months delay):
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/davidtoms/Comparisons/ Photos are paired for
similar areas.

We used trail running shoes in the snow in '05 (6/1 KM departure). They
dealt with the conditions fine (our feet were constantly soaked from snow,
river crossings, and flooded trail so there would have been no benefit to
waterproof footwear).  We had no problem attaching crampons. The biggest
issue we found was cold/frozen feet.
I'd therefore suggest, if using lightweight footwear in high snow
conditions:
1) Use a very warm sock, eg neoprene. We used smartwools and got frostnip.
2) Use them (wrapped in something waterproof) as a pillow to stop them
freezing.

Good luck with the prep and hike,
Dave