[pct-l] Hiking Pole Tips

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 10:50:43 CST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Bill Batchelor wrote:
> I have read that the tips are likely to implode or
wear-out on a thru-hike.
> I am going to buy some replacement tips for my
Leki's ahead of time.  How may tip-sets does one
normally go through?

Bill,

I have used the same pair of Leki's for several long
hikes, and I have replaced the tips about six times
over the life of the poles.  I'd guess you will
replace the tips once or twice on a PCT thru-hike.  A
lot of it depends on how hard you use them (how hard
you press down on them).  I've seen some people get
through the entire trail, and their tips don't even
look worn.

I have personally had it all - broken tips (most
common on the AT), worn down carbide (most common on
the PCT) and even two bent lower sections that had to
be replaced.  Several times I didn't even notice that
I had worn through the carbide and was half way
through the plastic part above the tip itself.

I have had several outfitters and salespeople
mistakenly tell me that the tips cannot be removed or
replaced.  Ignore these people.  Tips can be hard to
purchase in places, so it's a great idea to buy them
ahead of time and have your support person mail them
out to you, or keep them in your bump box.

When you go to replace them, there's a trick to
popping the tips off.  You need to apply an even,
sudden sharp force downward on the tip end just where
the plastic meets the metal.  The easiest thing to do
is find someone with tools.  Encircle the tip with a
monkey wrench (around the metal but not tight), have
someone hold the pole up off the ground, and whack the
wrench handle hard with a hammer.  In the absence of
tools, you can slide the pole between the slats on a
picnic table or in a similar tight spot and pull with
a sudden force, but this may take several tries.

Simply whacking on the tip with a hammer has never
worked for me.

To put tips on, just slide them into place and bang
them hard downward on the ground, preferably a hard
surface.

A good tip, pun intended, is to take your poles to a
hiker gathering, either PCTKO party or Trail Days in
Damascus.  Get your poles "in" early to the Leki booth
where they will service them for free.  New sections,
new internal parts, thorough cleaning, etc.  It's a
great deal, esp. if your poles are older.

Nocona