[pct-l] Guide Book Gouging

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Thu Jan 11 19:30:25 CST 2007

You're absolutely right. The trail can use all the funding it can get, from
any source. I hear ya! :)

However, given normal availability of guidebooks, charging 40% more for
items over other sources reeks of gouging. If this type of gouging is
justified under the guise of 'the best interest of the trail', it wouldn't
be suprising if these tactics painted less than a rosy picture of the PCTA
and had an opposite affect.

Folks will donate to the trail or the bureaucracy running it if they choose.
The enthusiasm of folks headed out onto the trail for a months long or day
long adventure is not a signal for the unscrupulous trail pimps to stick
their hands in our pockets. Folks who *think* buying from the PCTA is best
because, well, it's the PCTA would be mistaken.

Scott Parks