[pct-l] Which sleeping bag is best?

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 13 09:55:36 CST 2007

Roger,

We bought Western Mountaineering down bags before our CDT hike. The bags now
have over 10,000 miles in 4 years. After these long hikes the bags look
pretty soiled and compressed. We buy down soap from REI and wash them in our
front loading washer at home. We dry them (one at a time) in the drier with
several tennis balls with very little heat.
(We turn the heat on low for a few minutes then down to air fluff). It takes
most of a day to get them dry, but at the end they fluff back up and look
pretty good - except for that patch of duct tape on mine. But even the duct
tape has 10,000 miles so I can't complain.

We really think the investment in good sleeping bags pays off in the long
run. Compare the cost of all the motel rooms you have used on the trail to
the cost of the sleeping bag.

Ken
www.GottaWalk.com