[pct-l] hiking poles

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sat Jan 13 23:19:48 CST 2007

We have hiked with a pair of cheap (bought at thrift store) ski poles on
every hike since 1992.  I wouldn't consider hiking without them.
I use cheapo ski poles because I am cheap, but also because I hike with
llamas, which are famous for stepping clutzily on your poles and bending
them.  We put Leki tips on the ski poles, and carry spare tips.  We have
changed tips on the trail several times.  Our cheap poles have prevented
me from falling, drowning in stream crossings, prevent swollen fingers,
and  make hiking easier on my aging  joints.  Also they are handy for
poking a balky llama, or fending off a vicious dog that is running
loose.  On a long ago trip when I did not have poles, I was bitten by a
dog that was running loose.
Marion