[pct-l] CCTG in Etna called a scam. whoa.

Jack H hikerunion at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 13:02:37 CST 2007

The program "30 Minutes - Bay Area", the only local version of "60
minutes" recently ran their first segment. The leading show was about
the Campus California Training Group. CCTG in Etna is very nice to
thru-hikers. They let hikers stay for free in nice rooms, use their
laundry machines, computers, etc. all for no charge, and they don't
solicit for donations. CCTG ostensably is a training facility for AIDS
educators in Africa.

But, "30 minutes" just acused CCTG of being a scam. It has strong ties
to this danish organization TVIND, that some people accuse of being
cult-like, and embezzlers of donations. CCTG also is connected with
these large green dumpsters in the Bay Area that are drop boxes for
clothing donations. People think that they're donating money to
charity but it's going to CCTG. CCTG is accused of just generating
money and not really training many people at all.

It was definitely wierd to see this story. I've recently seen the
green dumpsters around my area, and I stayed at and greatly enjoyed
CCTG. I don't know what to think. It'd be too bad if CCTG was actually
something unsavory.

Watch the video here:
http://cbs5.com/video/?id=19216@kpix.dayport.com

The prompt:
"Behind The Green Box
In this season of giving, a new charity in the Bay Area is welcoming
volunteers and clothing donations through its green-colored bins with
the friendly "Gaia" label. But behind the green box, investigative
reporter Anna Werner uncovers a Danish organization known as "Tvind,"
or "Teacher's Group." Critics call it a cult that is using people's
good will to make millions in profit."

What do ya'll think?!?!