[pct-l] Reservation/ fee on Whitney

Mary T Moynihan mary.moynihan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 09:59:39 CST 2007

I am planning on climbing Mt Whitney during my thru hike. Do most thru
hikers climb up and down it in one day, skipping any necessity to make a
reservation or pay a fee. Or can you only make it so far in one day? I don't
know much about this mountain, except it being the highest peak of 48
states.
I think I am a little confused because for the Pacific Crest Trail Thru
Permit Request, on pcta.org, the second section B asks if you are climbing
it, asks if you are accessing the portal, and then in section C it states a
$15 for a reservation. Is that if you are staying on top?

So my big question is, can I plan to make it a day in starting at the
bottom, climbing to the summit and then returning to the bottom, without
paying a $15 fee and perhaps avoiding a busy campground. Whats the best
option?

Thanks for your help.

~Spirit