[pct-l] Reservation/ fee on Whitney

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 16 10:22:25 CST 2007

Mary,

The forest service requires day hike permits on the Main Mt. Whitney trail.
You'll be on the trail from Trail Crest to the Summit so technically you
are required to have the permit. In addition the Whitney zone extends west
of Guitar Lake so you may likely be camping in the zone on the way to the
summit. The PCTA is providing an easy way to get this permit.
Here's a link:  http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/mtwhitney.shtml
That said, it sounds like thru-hikers may not have a problem if they don't
travel east of Trail Crest on the Main trail, but that's not official.

Frank Dumville
fdumville at earthlink.net