[pct-l] important update on Callahan's, Ashland, OR

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Tue Jan 16 22:03:18 CST 2007

Hello from a long-time list lurker.

As most of you have heard, Callahan's, the landmark hotel and
restaurant complex adjacent to the PCT south of Ashland, OR, at
Siskiyou Summit, was consumed by fire on Sept. 2 of 2006. Owners Ron
and Donna Bergquist are planning to rebuild the operation, more than
doubling the square footage, from 11,000 sf to 26,000 sf. As of
January 2007, they are just entering the permitting process with
local agencies and have an eye toward a September re-opening -- too
late to help most PCT hikers this season.

The new design calls for slightly smaller restaurant operations and a
vastly enlarged hotel operation -- with 24 luxe rooms, most featuring
whirlpool baths, etc. Donna Bergquist emphatically told me that PCT
hikers should not be scared off by the rack rates on the spiffy new
rooms (which will bear no resemblence to the cramped old rooms below
the bar). There will be some flexibility on price mid-week. And thrus
are still going to be welcome to camp on the lawn.

Two very significant developments for PCT hikers:

1) The new plan calls for a separate shower and laundry facility for
PCT hikers. This is a big deal for anyone who's not going down the
hill into Ashland. This is obviously a money-LOSING new building
dedicated to our comfort and cleanliness.

2) During the long reconstruction process, the Bergquists will offer
package-holding services for PCT hikers out of their home, on the
property. Use the same Callahan's address: 7100 Old Hwy. 99, Ashland,
OR 97520. Clearly mark your expected pickup date on the box. And call
them at 800 286-0507 or 541 482-1299 to confirm delivery.

Personally, this last bit of cheering news will have an impact on me
in the coming season. Not caring for the looong detour into Ashland,
I had planned on going from Seiad straight through Fish Lake without
a resupply. Having merchants-turned-trail-angels step up like this is
going to make my load tangibly lighter.

Let's hear it for the Bergquists.

David Plotnikoff
david at emeraldlake.com