[pct-l] confusion over climbing Whitney:clarification

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Wed Jan 17 12:38:22 CST 2007

Actually, I *am* a wilderness ranger, and I promise I won't cite you!

I'm also involved in giving a series of seminars on this exact topic at
A-16 stores starting tonite, and I'd vetted this through the USFS people
on the Inyo.

HOWEVER, just to make ABSOLUTELY sure, I called and spoke to the
wilderness permit office this morning, and confirmed that for PCT through
hikers that start outside the Inyo National Forest, you DO NOT NEED any
additional permit if you decide, on the spot, that you want to climb
Whitney.....as long as you DO NOT cross Trail Crest. If a person wanted to
resupply at Whitney Portal, you would need the exit permit, and
significant numbers of people do that, and that may be why the PCTA
includes that.

It is of note that these confusing regulations change almost yearly, and
often in slight details, so that what may be true one year, may not be
true the next.  I do not know if the PCTA's form reflects this nuance....

Ken