[pct-l] Subject: Re: Hitch to Lone Pine

david booth dbooth at cyberone.com.au
Wed Jan 17 19:15:42 CST 2007

I have exited the PCT twice at Horseshoe Meadows down to Lone Pine.
In 2004 while hiking southbound and 2005 hiking north.
The first year I missed the last car to leave in the evening so I
stayed the night and stated out in the morning.
All cars were coming up for sightseeing, picnics, hang gliding but no
one was going down to Lone Pine. I road walked most of the 22 miles,
with a hitch at the end into town.
It was like coming down in an aircraft as I gradually lost height
down into the desert below. The highlight was a beer provided by a
hang glider pilot from LA.
The second exit from Horseshoe Meadows was better, during the day I
met some peak baggers on the way to climb Olanchia Peak. I asked them
if they were going out that day and they said yes. I asked them if I
could hitch a ride with them. They said OK if I was at the carpark
when they were leaving. So the race was on for me to beat them there
(they had day packs). I made it with ten minutes to spare and got a
ride all the way (Yogi would be proud of me). I was so grateful that
I bought the guy a meal at Lone Pine before he headed off home.
It is a difficult hitch but probably OK in the afternoon as the
sightseers go home.
Aussie Dave
Canberra Australia