[pct-l] Literary journals

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Jan 20 11:08:17 CST 2007

Part of what sustains me on some saturday or sunday mornings during the
winter is reading hiker journals.  However, I seem to be finding mostly
travelogues, who was where when kinds of writing.  I'm looking for
literary gems that not only offer descriptions of the trail, but the
internal workings of the thru-hiker.  Chris Willett's journals are an
example, and some of Mag's stuff.  Cindy Ross' books are long journals.
My major critique of Adam's movie about his trip on the CDT, a movie I
really enjoyed, is that there was only one segment in which some drama
came through.  What I liked about "The Walk" was Yogi's minute at the
end of the movie.

I welcome suggestions of journals to read that explore the human
condition as part of the thru-hiking experience.

Jeff, just Jeff...