[pct-l] Literary journals

gwtmp01 at mac.com gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Jan 20 22:45:47 CST 2007

On Jan 20, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Jeffrey Olson wrote:
> Part of what sustains me on some saturday or sunday mornings during
> the
> winter is reading hiker journals.  However, I seem to be finding
> mostly
> travelogues, who was where when kinds of writing.  I'm looking for
> literary gems that not only offer descriptions of the trail, but the
> internal workings of the thru-hiker.

Jan LiteShoe's 2003 AT hike
Rolling Thunder's 2006 PCT hike

Jan and Rolling Thunder both are journalists and it shows.

Any of Buddha's journals.  She has a very offbeat and fun style.
I really got a laugh out of her 'spanish lesson of the day' on many
of her Camino de Santiago entries.  Example:

Spanish lesson of the Day: Me gustaria un ascenso desafiante, pero no
quiero tener que llevar oxigeno. I'd like a challenging climb but I
don't want to take oxygen.

All these journals can be found at www.trailjournals.com

Gary Wright (Radar)