[pct-l] Thirst is the Best Water Gauge

Judith G twolegs at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 21 21:10:32 CST 2007

On Jan 20, 2007, at 10:00 AM,  "William Skaggs"
<weskaggs at primate.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> 5) It is really difficult to die of dehydration.  Heat exhaustion is
> another story -- it's relatively easy to overheat yourself on a hot
> day.  But to die of dehydration, you pretty much have to stagger
> around in midsummer desert heat for a couple of days with no water.

Actually, heat exhaustion IS dehydration ... the Outward Bound
Wilderness First Aid Handbook describes heat exhaustion as "early
volume shock caused by dehydration."  In number 5 above, Bill is
confusing heat exhaustion with heat stroke, which is described in the
same handbook as follows:  "...a life threatening emergency [in which]
the body's heat loss mechanisms are overwhelmed by the heat challenge
and the core temperature rises out of control to critical levels
(greater than 105 degrees F.)

Bill, you mean well and we all appreciate it, but your understanding of
dehydration, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke seem muddled, and I'm
sorry to say so publicly.   I am concerned you will influence folks who
think that your medical advice is authoritative, coming from a
"neuroscientist."   Folks, get yourself a wilderness medicine handbook,
there are several good one, the NOLS book and the OB been mentioned
above, among others, and get your information from a real authority.

Two Legs