[pct-l] met 'first man to solo pct in 72

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Mon Jan 22 19:20:13 CST 2007

The PCT has seen Martin, Eric, Henry, and Scott hiking it in their own way
and time period. Each one is a legend of the PCT, and much has been written
about Eric and Scott.  Here is a bit of the story about Martin's 1952 PCT
thruhike. He passed on in 2003, I believe. Eric is out there, but is hiding
from the PCT crowd of today, but there are many, like me, who would like to
welcome him back to the trail. It's great that Scott has met Henry, two PCT
explorers have crossed paths, and both have much to share and celebrate
together.
http://www.aldhawest.org/Gazette/V3_2_EarlyPCT.asp
One name; Martin Papendick.  May his memory live forever as THE first person
to hike Canada to Mexico in 1958!

Greg "Strider" Hummel
In a message dated 01/22/07 10:04:14 Pacific Standard Time, pct-l-request at