[pct-l] Pay Phones

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 01:02:04 CST 2007

>      Will there be pay phones at most stopping points(towns, camps,
> etc.)?

I've done the whole trail using pay phones and an MCI calling card I got
from Costco.
I've never had any trouble finding a pay phone, but, when I had a cell phone
with me it was a lot more convenient to find the right motel etc.
Sometimes phones were vandalized, but I always found another nearby.

I'll be using pay phones again this year.

>      Will I have any coverage on the trail or in trail towns?

Most towns have cell coverage.
Verizon seems to have the best coverage in the more remote areas including
Forester Pass and the top of Mt Whitney.
Cingular(or whatever it is called now) was the only thing that worked in
Wrightwood.  Very strange and a rare exception for them.

Warner Springs Monty