[pct-l] Esbit vs alcohol stove

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Wed Jan 24 09:02:05 CST 2007

Folks,

I have been using an esbit stove with solid fuel tabs on my last few outings
with fairly good success.  I like the esbit type tabs because
1. (and I am going to double check this) I think you can ship them without
the restrictions of volitile liquid fuel
2. There is no container required to keep them in.
3. They're fun

However, on my last training hike in a very windy Joshua Tree park I found
them difficult to light.  I am considering getting one of those wind-proof
butane type lighters.  There is one that has a telescoping extension that
extends a couple inches to use it like a long match.  I think that might be
the solution.  However, I do not to consider how long it will last and how
often to refill it, etc.

On the other hand, perhaps I should just punt and move to a pepsi can /
alcohol arrangement.  It is nice that the Yogi guide has info on fuel
availability.  I suspect it is MUCH easier to light, especially in
wind(please correct me if I am wronge there).

I do not know the weight comparisons when you consider the fuel canister
weight etc.  If anyone has done the math or has an intuitive feel for that,
I'd be interested.

Opinions welcome - especially if you have had experience with both.

BillB Ezhno