[pct-l] Bag size

Craig Stanton craigstanton at mac.com
Thu Jan 25 05:06:31 CST 2007

Hello All,
	I'm new to this long distance hiking game so I haven't yet had to
pack for 9 days in the hills. I've spoken to a local guy who as done
the AT and Te Araroa with the MacPac Pursuit bag which is 55l (almost
2 cubic feet, 2400 cubic inches). At first glance that size doesn't
look like a lot to me, which trying to fit in a down sleeping bag and
a bear canister I'm worried that I won't get everything to fit in the
MacPac Nikau which is also 55l but has a zipped sleeping bag
compartment across the bottom.
	Am I over estimating the volume of stuff I really need to have with
me, what sort of volume do people's stuff come to. I know there are
uber-mega-ultralighters here (Switchback I'm looking at you) that
could probably get by with half a toothbrush and stick of jerky, but
for the average person, who is not particularly good at packing, does
55l seem like enough? Bigger than that and the packs leap in weight
too. Bare in mind I'll have my z-rest strapped to the top and maybe a
water bottle on each shoulder strap.

Cheers,
	Craig