[pct-l] Chafing

Slow Comfort slow.comfort at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 18:38:09 CST 2007

Had to comment on this one.

I've not seen many hikers suffer chafing in cooler climes or cold
weather.  The nomadic Apache roamed from the Eastern portion of what
is now California as far as Texas into the Big Bend country and north
to Colorado and the adjacent eastern plains.  Their traditional dress
(Originally deer hide) consisted of loose fitting : shirt, moccasins,
leggings and  the always worn "loin cloth."   Plenty of air for the
privates.  That's the key.

My grandfather taught me to always wear loose fitting clothes for the
dessert.  Today my sons and I use light colored silk or breathable
synthetic material shorts in lower elevations, during the spring or
summer, without an undergarment.  The body is built right...just cover
it and forget about dressing it (if you will) Let the body breathe and
you'll find it can run or walk across arid to desert country all day
without chafing or producing offensive odors.

If you'd really like to let the body do its own thing, try using a
good hiking sandal from Mexico to Lake Morena - feet love air,
blisters to the curb!  and they'll get stronger for the exposure to
the elements.  You may even use them all the way to KM and beyond.   A
good pair of sandals with a goretex oversock over some merino's and a
light pair of gaiters will take you anywhere.  And the right sandal
will take crampons easy.

I just believe that if we try to fit in with mama earth naturaly (as
much as posible), she will cuddle us a little closer.  But that if we
bring overly much of our own design we may not drink as much of the
nectar available to us from her bosum.  In that regard; I appreciate
fast & light, but it seems to me the the greater stress for it is
based upon the sake of "accomplishment"  rather than to "experience"
the love of "dirt beneath our feet."  Still, I'm a great believer of
HYOH and am sure many like it light so they can appreciate the reach
of their phyche for the earth even more.

Well, I bent philosophical..forgive me.

Slow